Classified Historic Monument. Built in the early 19th century by the Kingdom of Piedmont-Sardinia, the strong bear the names of the royal family: Victor-Emmanuel, Marie-Thérèse, Marie-Christine, Charles-Albert and Charles-Felix.
Erected between 1817 and 1834 against the possible targets of France, the barrier of Esseillon is made up of 5 forts spread over the municipalities of Aussois and Avrieux.
The Esseillon barrier includes 4 forts and a redoubt bearing the names of members of the Savoy family. They are built on the Montalembert model which, unlike Vauban's model, is based on a principle of perpendicular fortifications and cannon towers:
- Fort Victor-Emmanuel (Grand Site of the Department and Site of regional interest, this building has undergone a major restoration program.
- Fort Charles-Albert (only two small garrison buildings and the base of a tower remain of this building)
- Fort Charles-Félix (destroyed on the orders of Napoleon III, at the time of the attachment of Savoy to France in 1860. Visiting the building is not recommended because it is dangerous. Romantic, the fort remains admirable from the road) .
- fort Marie-Christine (cultural center, stopover, restaurant, and gate of the Vanoise National Park, places of visits and occasional activities)
- Redoute Marie-Thérèse (Fortified Heritage Interpretation Center)
Period of opening
From 01/01 to 31/12, daily.
Subject to snow conditions.
Equipment & services
Guided individual tours
Unguided group tours
Guided group tours
Tour free of charge
Unguided individual tours
The access road is closed to traffic during the winter. Access is however possible for hikers (on foot or with snowshoes). Inquire about the conditions of access at the office of the Tourist Office in Aussois.
Your comments are valuable to us
Vous aimerez aussi
- Distance 6.3 km